Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkin Chocolate Salad Dressing Cake with Pickled Cloud Nine Icing
2021 Dessert Contest Winner Submitted by Annette Stanek-Busch
Mouthwatering chocolate cake with delicious Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkins, this unique recipe is sure to impress!
Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkin Chocolate Salad Dressing Cake
½ finely chopped Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkins (6-8)
3 Tbs plus ¼ cup Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkin pickle juice
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp baking soda
4 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup salad dressing (example: Miracle Whip—not light or fat free)
1 cup cold water
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder.
- Add the finely chopped Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkins, 3 Tbs pickle juice, salad dressing, cold water and vanilla extract.
- Mix until smooth
- Divide batter into two 8” greased and floured layer cake pans.
- Bake in 350F oven for 28-35 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- When cakes are done, invert onto cooling racks.
- While still warm, paint ¼ cup of the pickle juice on both layers to seep in for additional flavor.
- While cakes are cooling, make icing.
Pickled Cloud Nine Icing
4 Tbs Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkin Pickle juice
½ cup butter
½ cup shortening
¾ cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup finely chopped Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkins (6-8)
- Cream Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkin pickle juice, butter and shortening.
- Heat milk until skin is formed; let cool at room temperature.
- Place sugar in a separate bowl; add milk to sugar slowly.
- Add milk/sugar mixture to butter/shortening mixture while beating well.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Continue to beat well until thickened (this may take 5-10 minutes).
Assembling the Sweet Gherkin Chocolate Salad Dressing Cake with Pickled Cloud Nine Icing:
- Spread enough icing on the first cake layer to ¼” to ½” in height.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup chopped Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkins over this icing layer.
- Add 2nd cake layer on top of 1st layer.
- Add icing to the top of this layer.
- Continue with icing on the sides of the cake, smoothing as you apply.
- Sprinkle remainder of chopped Mt. Olive Sweet Gherkins on top of the iced cake.
- Slice and enjoy!
- Serves 8-12.