Pork Pickle Pepper Salisbury Steaks & Creamy Dill Alfredo Linguine
Brenda Watts of Gaffney, SC, created this sumptuous entree using a variety of Mt. Olive pickle products she selected for just the right flavor. Her winning entry is definitely worth trying!
- 24 ounces (1.5-lb.) ground pork.
- 8 ounces (1/2-lb.) ground pork sausage.
- 1 cup (24-oz. jar) *Mt. Olive sweet salad cubes, drained well, divided.
- 1/3 cup (12-oz. jar) *Mt. Olive roasted red peppers, drained, finely diced.
- 1/3 cup (16-oz. jar) *Mt Olive simply Vidalia pickled Vidalia onion strips, drained, finely diced.
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs.
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons ketchup.
- 1 large egg, beaten.
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
Creamy Pickled Alfredo Linguine
- 5 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules,(or 5 cubes).
- 1 box (1-lb.) dried linguine pasta.
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle juice, (*from any jar *Mt. Olive sweet pickles).
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter.
- 1/2 teaspoon of each salt and ground white pepper.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream.
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese.
- 1 cup half-and-half.
- 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese.
- 1/3 cup (24-oz. jar) *Mt. Olive sweet salad cubes, drained well.
Sweet pickle florets
- Large or medium size *Mt. Olive whole sweet pickles, drained well.
- 12 strips (cut into 2-inch lengthwise sizes each) *Mt. Olive roasted red peppers, a portion of red pepper, drained.
1. Prepare Salisbury steaks. In a large bowl, mix ground pork, ground pork sausage, 1/2 cup sweet salad cubes, 1/3 cup diced red peppers, 1/3 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/4 cup grated parmesan, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 1 beaten egg, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and 1 teaspoon ground white pepper; combine and knead until blended well. Over a large sheet of parchment paper, form and shape the meat mixture into six even oval meat patties.
2. Cook Salisbury steak patties. Heat olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a 12-inch heavy-duty skillet, over medium-high heat. Add Salisbury steak patties, and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the centers, adjusting heat to medium if needed. Place and drain cooked Salisbury steak patties onto a large plate covered with several sheets of heavy-duty paper towels to drain excess oil. With the remaining 1/2 cup sweet salad cubes, add over top of each steak, with a rounded tablespoonful to garnish and cover plate loosely with a large sheet of aluminum foil to keep warm; set in warm area.
3. Prepare creamy pickled alfredo linguine. In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, add 4- to 6-quarts water and chicken bouillon granules or cubes, and bring to a rapid boil. Add linguine pasta to boiling water mixture. Boil to cook 10 to 12 minutes, till linguine is al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain cooked linguine pasta well, add into large bowl. Toss in 3 tablespoons sweet pickle juice until combined; set aside.
4. Prepare creamy pickled alfredo sauce. In a large heavy-duty saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Sprinkle in 1/2 teaspoon each salt and ground white pepper; whisk to combine. Add heavy whipping cream and 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese, cook and whisking frequently for a few minutes, or until combined and sauce begins to thicken. Gradually, add by whisking in 1-cup half-and-half, 1/2 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese, cook an additional few minutes, whisking frequently, until alfredo sauce is bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat, toss in remaining 1/3 cup sweet salad cubes into sauce mixture until combined. Pour creamy pickled alfredo sauce mixture over linguine; toss gently to coat.
5. Prepare sweet pickle florets for garnish, using one to two large sweet pickles, cut twelve 1-inch thick slices. Remove insides of each slice to form cavity and a 1/4-inch rim. With remaining 5 to 4 sweet pickles, cut 30 very thin slices, about 1/8-inch thin), place to drain thin slices, onto a large plate lined with several sheets of heavy-duty paper towels. Working with 4 to 5 thin slices of drained pickles, at a time, lay them in a lengthwise row, slightly over-lapping edges of each slice, and loosely roll lengthwise the roll and add by tucking into the center of one of the cavities of the thicker sliced pickles, carefully spread out the placed thin slices to form a flower shape, and curl up to place one of the 2-inch strips red peppers onto the center. Continue, floret shaping process until all 12 sweet pickle florets for garnish are completed.
6. Prepare, assemble and serve. Over six individual serving plates, add even servings of creamy pickled alfredo linguine, one pork pickled Salisbury steak and one to two pickled florets. Serve and enjoy.
Prep Time: 25 Minutes.
Cook Time: 25 Minutes.
Servings: 6 Servings.
Submitted by: Brenda Watts (Gaffney, SC)